"Creative Prompt" Art Competition
Art Inspired by the written word
First Place Writer and First Place Artist: $150 each
Second Place Writer and Second Place Artist: $100 each
Third Place Writer and Third Place Artist: $50 each
Open to All Area Artists. Join Red Door 104 as we embark on an artistic journey that pushes the boundaries. All art submitted must be created during a specific timeframe and done in response to a story or poem provided to you. The goal? To gain inspiration from a written work and to challenge yourself to think and create in a new way.
A participatory, inclusive creativity event . . . that’s “Creative Prompt,” and we want you to join us! Open to writers, musicians, and visual artists of all kinds. Art participants create new work using someone else’s writing as inspiration. All the resulting artwork is then displayed alongside the piece that inspired it.
Here’s how it works . . . .
First, the writer creates a piece that focuses on any subject matter. The original creative writing piece can be a poem, short story or song. Each entry will be reviewed by recognized writing authority. Entries submitted will be judged on originality, subject focus, and literary excellence. A $30.00 non-refundable registration fee required with your submission between June 28 and July 27th, 2018.
Artists who submit their non-refundable $30.00 entry fee prior to June 28, 2018, will be assigned a submitted creative piece on August 1st, 2018. All artist registrants will receive their written piece at the same time. Each artist must transform the written piece into artwork that (s)he interprets from the writing. Any medium can be used to artistically portray the subject matter.
The creative writer/artist pairing will remain unknown to all participants until the show’s reception.
Conditions and Submission
- Written work: Submissions will be accepted from June 28, 2018 through July 27, 2018 at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at Red Door 104 Gallery, 104 North Main Street, Farmville, VA 23901, Monday through Friday during normal business hours (10:00am - 5:00pm).
- ALL writing entries must be no more than one page of double spaced 12 pt or larger type and received or postmarked by July 27, 2018.
- Work submitted must be typed whether as an original sheet or pdf attachment to an email. All written work must be identified with title, last name, first initial (example: HorsesSullivanA.pdf).
- Artwork: Artists entered in the competition will receive a written piece to interpret on August 1, 2018. Submissions will be accepted from August 2 through September 1, 2018 by mail or in person.
- All art entries must be received or postmarked by September 1, 2018 by midnight (11:59 pm EST).
- Artists will have the freedom to interpret and create any two- or three-dimensional work in their medium of choice. All artwork must be identified with title, last name, first initial (example: HorsesSullivanA.pdf).
- Artwork must measure no more than 16” x 20” including white matte and black frame. Sculpture or other 3-dimensional art should be no more than 20” in height and have a footprint more than 16” in diameter. Images produced in oils and other mediums on canvas or need to “breathe” must measure no more than 16” x 20” including frame or be museum wrapped. All images for the exhibition must be your original work and provided ready for hanging/display by the gallery staff.
- All art must be available for sale; indicate sale price.
In addition to writing and artwork submitted, a short artist’s statement should be attached. Your statement will include some bio information, techniques and comments on the subject matter being presented. Please include contact information, including phone number and address. (This information will not be published for public view.)
Subject Matter for Consideration: Any/all topics - Any entries of a graphic or sexually explicit nature will not be considered.
A non-refundable entry fee of $30.00 is required for each writer and each artist, and must be submitted prior to July 27, 2018. This competition is open to residents of the United States 18 years+. All entries will be judged. It is important to remember that not all entries will be shown in the gallery on September 7th, 2018; if a piece does not fit in the gallery during the competition reception, it will be returned to the artist or writer.
Click here to submit your entry fee electronically. The entry fee can also be paid by check or money order payable to: Red Door 104 Creative - please do not send cash. Checks and money orders can be mailed to Red Door 104 Art Gallery, 104 North Main Street, Farmville, VA 23901 or in person during business hours (Mon-Fri 10:00am-5:00pm).
Cash prizes will be awarded for the first, second and third place winners.
Winners of first and second prizes will be notified on September 6th 2018. A “Creative Prompt” reception for writers, artists, and guests will be held on Friday, September 7th 2018, at the Red Door 104 Gallery from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. The gallery will be open to the public daily from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Terms and Conditions:
Entrance into this exhibition indicates writer’s and artist's acceptance of any and all terms and conditions stated in this or other information regarding this competition. It is agreed that the artist will present selected image(s), matted and framed according to specifications required and stated by the gallery, by the deadline. Any work that does not meet the specifications will not be displayed. Artist(s) and writer(s) affirm that all work submitted is original and does not infringe on copyrighted material. All copyrights remain the property of the originator. It is understood the REDDOOR 104 Gallery shall charge a commission of 35% on all original works displayed and sold during the duration of the exhibition or from the website. Reproductions or editions of the printed piece promoted after the show on our web site or at the gallery will be sold exclusively through Red Door 104 Gallery. We will have unlimited use and display of writing and images on the gallery website and social media sites for the purposes of promotion. Promotional usage of images shall be free of royalty and no extra charge will be sustained by the artist(s) or gallery for said promotional usage. Display of any and all images in exhibition shall be at the discretion of the curator. It is further understood that the Red Door 104 Gallery will not be held responsible for the payment of return postage on any artwork nor will the gallery be held liable for damages sustained during shipping due to mishandling by couriers or improper packaging. The Red Door 104 Gallery will insure the work in exhibition for the duration of the exhibition at no cost to the artist(s)
By paying the non-refundable entry fee, the entrant signifies that he/she has read and understands the above terms and conditions.
Thank you for your attention.